What is morning sickness?
NVP, or Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy, is commonly known as morning sickness and affects an estimated 80% of all pregnant women. It’s usually one of the first symptoms of pregnancy experienced by moms-to-be. It’s caused by a combination of physical changes in the body such as
In spite of the term "morning sickness", NVP can strike any time of the day! Its severity varies from woman to woman. Extremely severe NVP may lead to hospitalisation. However, a majority of women experience mild to moderate NVP.
Tips for relieving morning sicknessMorning sickness doesn’t have to be inevitable.
Here are a few tips to help!
- Take your time to get out of bed. Moving too quickly or suddenly can trigger nausea right when you wake up.
- Eat dry foods, such as biscuits. Avoid spicy, acidic, and greasy foods as much as possible.
- Snack frequently with small meals throughout the day. An empty stomach can make nausea worse.
- Choose foods high in protein and carbohydrates instead of fats. These can help fight nausea.
- Relax! Give yourself time to wind down and talk things over with another mom-to-be. Stress can affect morning sickness, too.